- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can chili pinto beans no chili pinto beans can be used instead
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 24 ounces RAGÚ Homestyle Traditional Pasta Sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- Optional cayenne can be added for extra heat, use with caution. Be careful in adding cayenne if you decide to kick it up a notch as a little goes a long way.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar optional
In a large skillet or pot add the chopped onions, garlic and olive oil. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions are lightly cooked.
Add ground meat and begin the browning process. You may need to add additional olive oil.
Brown all the meat continuously stirring to break up the meat. (you may find a heavy wire whisk helpful in breaking up the chunks).
When the meat is browned begin adding in your seasonings (remember you can always add more after it’s cooked for a while).
Add RAGÚ pasta sauce and beans combining all of the ingredients.
Reduce heat to simmer and allow to simmer for 1 – 2 hours, stirring so it won’t stick to the bottom.
If chili begins to get too thick you can add additional stock or water to get it to the consistency you like.
Taste and re-season to your taste.
If you like your chili spicier add in more chili powder or cayenne pepper. To add a little sweetness to the chili add in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.