Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
- 1 pizza dough store bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pizza crust seasoning see below
- 4 ounces pimento cheese
- 4 slices Wright® Brand Bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 green tomatoes
- 1 red plum tomato sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon egg whipped with one of water added
- bacon fat to fry tomatoes or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup shedded mozzarella
- 1 handful baby arugula
PIZZA CRUST SEASONING
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
preheat oven to 450 degrees
place bacon on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is crispy
remove bacon from pan and drain well on paper towels. Save bacon green to fry tomatoes
Slice green tomato into 1/4 inch slices and dip in seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Make sure to completely coat the entire slice. Dip in egg and bread crumbs again if necessary.
Fry breaded tomato slices in bacon fat until nicely browned on both sides, allow to drain on paper towels.
Work dough into a circle on a floured surface. Don’t worry if it doesn’t come out perfectly round, its a homemade pizza. Just tell everyone its rustic.
Brush entire dough with olive oil, then sprinkle the seasoning mixture generously over the entire dough.
Bake at 450 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until dough has begun turning brown.
Remove dough from oven and carefully spoon 2/3 of the pimento cheese onto the dough, spreading it out slightly.
Arrange fried green tomatoes on top of cheese, leaving room in between for slices of red tomatoes.
Place sliced roma tomatoes in between the fried green tomatoes.
Spoon remainder of pimento cheese on top of fried green tomatoes.
Sprinkle with chopped bacon and shredded mozzarella cheese and place back into the oven for 5 minutes or until crust gets nicely brown and cheese has melted.
Remove from oven, and slice.
Top with handful of arugula and serve.