THREE BEAN BOURBON CHICKEN CHILI
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 2 pounds ground chicken or turkey or a combination of both
- 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can chili pinto beans no chili pinto beans can be used instead
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 24 ounces of Passata tomatoes or heavy crushed tomato
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons corn masa or fine cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- cayenne can be added for extra heat use with caution
in a large skillet or pot add the chopped onions, garlic and olive oil. Saute for a few minutes until the onions are lightly cooked.
Add brown sugar, mixing well and continue sauteing for 2 minutes. Carefully add bourbon making sure it doesn’t go near open flames.
Allow alcohol to burn off bourbon for a minute as mixture continues to cook
Add ground meat and begin the browning process. You may need to add additional olive oil.
Brown all the meat continuously stirring to break up the meat. ( you may find a heavy wire whisk helpful in breaking up the chunks)
When the meat is browned begin adding in your seasonings ( remember you can always add more after its cooked for awhile)
Add tomatoes, chicken stock and beans combining all of the ingredients.
reduce heat to simmer and allow to simmer for 1 – 2 hours, stirring so it won’t stick to the bottom
If chili begins to get too thick you can add additional stock or water to get it to the consistency you like.
Taste and re-season to your taste.
Be careful in adding Cayenne if you decide to kick it up a notch as a little goes a long way.