WONTON CANNOLI COOKIES
- 20 wonton sheets
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
BROWN BUTTER RUM MASCARPONE FILLING
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, browned
- 2 tablespoons gold rum
- 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups confectioner sugar
- 6 oz. chocolate,melted
- 4 oz. almonds, crushed
Heat oven to 376 degrees F.
TO MAKE WONTON CANNOLI COOKIE
- Use a 3 1/2 inch round cutter and stamp out a circle from each wonton sheet. Using a pastry brush, cover each side of wonton round with butter.
- Wrap wonton around cannoli form and place on a bake sheet with seam side up. Bake at 375 degrees for about 5-7 minutes or until golden brown (start checking for doneness at 5 minutes). Remove bake sheet from oven and then remove cannoli cookies from forms. Place cookies on a rack to cool.
TO MAKE MASCARPONE FILLING
- Place butter in a small pan and heat until butter is brown and nutty in aroma. Remove from heat and strain. Set aside to cool, but still liquid. Add rum to cooled butter and stir to combine.
- Place mascarpone and confectioner sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; beat until smooth. Add in butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Transfer filling to a pastry bag fitted with preferred tip.
- Dip ends of cannoli cookie into chocolate. Dip chocolate covered ends into crushed nuts. Set aside until chocolate hardens and sets.
- Pipe filling into both ends of cookies. Drizzle with remaining chocolate and dust with confectioner sugar.
A few notes:
- The cannoli cookies go from golden to burnt quickly, so make a few extras to test and find the right bake time before you fill a bake sheet full of cannoli cookies. Make sure to check the the cookies at the five minute mark and then every 3o seconds after to establish the exact bake time for your oven.
- Cannoli cookies can made 3 days in advance and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- To adjust the filling to fit your textured preference, add more confectioner sugar to stiffen and add one tablespoon of heavy cream at a time to loosen. The filling can be made 5 days in advance and kept in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator.
- Skip the rum for a non-boozy version.