Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
ENCHILADA RED SAUCE
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour I used Gluten Free AP
- 2 16 ounce cans tomato sauce I used organic Muir Glen brand
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying tortillas
- 12 corn tortillas or more
- 2 cups pulled or chopped chicken meat I seasoned mine with the same seasoning used for sauce
- 4 ounces queso fresco ( you can sub monterey jackcheddar or your favorite cheese)
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 ounces shredded mexican cheese blend or monterey jack or cheddar
- Red Enchilada Sauce from recipe above
RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
In a saucepan heat vegetable oil over medium heat, then add flour and mix well. Turn down heat slightly and allow flour/oil mixture to cook for a few minutes.
Add tomatoes, chicken stock, spices and brown sugar to saucepan and mix well.
Bring to a slight boil then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook for about 10 minutes.
Use sauce for your enchiladas and store the remainder in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze for even longer storage.
add vegetable oil to a frying pan and allow oil to get hot
place corn tortillas in hot oil for about 10 seconds on each side, placing on paper towels to drain as you continue the process. Make sure to pat excess oil off of both sides and handle the tortillas gently as they will easily tear.
after all the tortillas have been fried you can begin assembly
place about 2 tablespoons of chicken in each tortilla, along with 1 tablespoon of queso fresco and as much chopped onion as you like.
roll the enchilada up and gently place into a baking dish. Repeat the process until completed.
Once all the enchiladas are in your baking dish, spoon a generous amount of Red Enchilada Sauce over the middle of the enchiladas, then top with shredded cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and serve with your favorite sides.