SHRIMP AND CRAB CHOWDER
- 1 medium onion medium dice
- 3-4 carrots , rough cut medium
- 6 celery stalks rough cut medium
- 2 medium potatoes rough cut medium
- 1 lb shrimp peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1/2 lb crab meat ( I used jumbo lump)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 quarts fish or chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- old bay to taste
- black pepper to taste
start a seafood stock with any fish pieces, or scrap, shrimp shells or fish bones you may have on hand. ( you may use clam juice instead)
add the butter to a 4 quart sauce pan with all of the rough cut vegetables and allow to cook until they begin to soften.
Add the flour to the vegetables and mix well, to make a roux, allow this to cook for at least 5 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
add the heated stock to the roux mixture and blend well.
add in the heavy cream and season.
allow chowder to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
add the chopped shrimp pieces and allow to cook in the chowder for 3-5 minutes
Before serving add in your crab meat.
*if using fish pieces add them in raw and allow them to cook in the chowder, they will remain more intact this way and impart flavor to the chowder.