Course: Entree Salad
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
Total Time: 28 mins
- 1 small head of romaine washed and chopped
- 8 oz pack of cheese or meat tortellini
- 1/2 small red onion peeled and sliced
- 8–10 assorted olives
- 1 large tomato cut into small wedges or 10-12 grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp mountain picante Gorgonzola cheese crumbled or blue cheese crumbles
- olive oil to taste
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley – finely chopped
- day old bread to make garlic toasts
- 1 clove garlic crushed and finely minced
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- sprinkle of grated Romano cheese
Cook tortellini according to directions, and then allow to cool while preparing the rest of the salad.
Slice day old bread into small toasts
In a sauté pan, add olive oil and minced garlic and allow to heat until garlic begins to cook, then remove from heat.
Coat each side of your toasts with the garlic oil and place on baking sheet
Sprinkle the top side with grated Romano cheese and place under a broiler until one side is toasted golden brown, then turn over the garlic toasts to toast the other side.
Set aside to serve with salad (if you have a lot of day old bread these can be made in quantity and stored in a Tupperware container for about a week)
In a salad bowl, combine tortellini, olives, tomatoes, red onion, and Gorgonzola crumbles -toss to mix.
Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and black pepper to taste. Or use your favorite Italian style salad dressing. Toss ingredients to coat all the components.
Place a good handful of chopped romaine on your plate and top with the tortellini salad.
Sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley and serve with garlic toasts.